Thursday, January 10, 2008

7 New Year's Eco-Resolutions

1. I will relinquish my title of most likely to acquire useless crap I don't wear or need.
Admit it, your closet is full of had to have items that have been punished to a life of hanging unworn. Your notepads, pens, books, magnets, and collectibles are enough to fill a mini storage unit.

2. I will avenge my phantom load.
It's not pounds that appeared on your midsection. It's the energy wasted by electronics and power charges when they are plugged in but not in use.

3. I will by smarter than bottled water companies.
Plastic is bad for the environment. Buy an eco-chic reusable stainless steel bottle and refill it throughout the day for free.

4. Bring my own bags to the grocery store.
Plastic bags are made from petroleum and only 1 percent consumed worldwide are recycled each year. Most end up in landfills or in the sea.

5. I will switch to recycled paper products at home.
By purchasing recycled paper products, you're preventing trees from chopped down and paper waste from ending up in landfills.

6. I will consider whether my meal came from the farm or the factory.
Think of how many miles your food has traveled, how many chemicals are used, and how much pollution and waste have been generated. Support local agriculture by shopping for food at a farmers market.

7. I will take a day off from road rage and take mass transit or carpool one day a week.
If you have public transportation options available to you, try switching to the train or bus one day a week. If you don't live near public transportation, try organizing once a week carpool with your neighbors or coworkers.

A great simple article from The Daily Green for your new year's eco-resolutions.

No comments: