1. Change all of your incandescent light bulbs with compact fluorescent light (CFL) bulbs. CFLs use much less energy for the same performance and they last much longer as well. This is the easiest way to save energy and reduce your electrical expense.
2. Turning off the lights whenever you go out from a room. This is a simple and easy way to save energy.
3. Saving energy by adjusting the temperature of your room. For instance, during winter, you can decrease the heater slightly and use sweater inside the house. You will save a considerable amount of money by implementing this tip.
4. Stop asking for plastic bags when shopping. Plastic bags are oil based and they are not biodegradable. Bring your own bag so you contribute in saving our unrenewable resources. You might get a discount from the store as well.
5. When you go shopping, do not buy disposable products. Disposable products will likely end up in landfills and landfills emit gases that cause greenhouse effect and global warming. Choose items that can be used many times. If possible, choose good quality products. They are more expensive, but they can be used for a long period of time.
6. When products need batteries, choose the ones that are rechargeable. Batteries contain toxic materials and their disposal needs proper care. Therefore, it is good if you can reduce battery disposal. You will save money because you don’t keep buying batteries repetitively.
7. When you plan to buy a new car, choose the environmentally friendly one. You can choose hybrid car or if it is too expensive, you can buy the one that consumes less fuel per mile. It is even better if you can travel by public transports or bicycles.
8. Limit your water usage. Water is extremely cheap in some countries and they do not use it wisely. For other, this resource is very important and very difficult to get. Therefore, you need to change your lifestyle and use water more wisely. Cleaning your deck or driveway using a broom will save you gallons of water annually. Use a washing machine when it is full so you use water efficiently. Turn off the water tap while you are brushing your teeth.
9. Using solar energy is another good idea that you should try. It is expensive, but if you have the budget, why don’t you try this option. You can start with small solar panels for your water heater for instance.
10. Why don’t you use a push mower instead of an electrical or fuel one? It works well if your lawn is small and you can also exercise while mowing your lawn.